Tuesday 14 May 2013

Giraffes Can't Dance


My husband gave me this book when we got engaged.  Perhaps because he knew I can't dance....

Imagine my surprise when I found these felt board story cut-outs online (great for my felt board activity).  Naturally I had to get them.

April's Day Care (link)

If you are not familiar with the story, it's about a giraffe named Gerald who is a bit awkward.  Every year the animals get together for a big celebration and they dance, but Gerald is very clumsy at it.  The other animals laugh at him.  Naturally Gerald feels sad and lonely, until he meets a cricket who tells him, "sometimes when you're different you just need a different song".  Gerald imagines the moon and the trees are playing a song just for him and he dances! The other animals are amazed and cheer.  In the end he says, "we all can dance when we find music that we love".

There are lots of different messages in this story.  I like this line by the cricket,  
"Sometimes when you're different you just need a different song"  
It's very easy for people to compare themselves to others.  I do it all the time!  We should remember that we are all different and if we are trying to "dance" like everyone else, then we will probably be disappointed.  We should find our own song and "dance" to that!  Others will see our dancing and will be amazed!  My husband is very good at encouraging me to do this.  

As Gerald says, 
"We all can dance when we find music that we love".

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...